How does verse 24 relate to the previous verses we have studied?
What does it look like if someone is “serving” money? What will someone do if money is his master?
What other things might a persons’ “master” besides money?
Verse 25 says, “For this reason I say to you…” For what reason?
What are side effects of worrying?
Why would people worry about these things?
What lesson can we learn from the birds? From lilies?
If Jesus question in verse 27 were not rhetorical how would you answer it?
What other things do people worry about today besides clothing and money?
What are some things which you worry about?
What should we do instead of worrying?
What does it mean to seek first His kingdom? How can we do this? Each person spend several minutes writing down one or more specific examples of how to seek first His kingdom. Then share with the group.
What principle can we learn from verse 34? Should we care about or plan about tomorrow? What is the difference between planning and worrying?
Matthew 10:31 – You are worth many sparrows.
Philippians 4:6-7 – Do not be anxious about anything.
1 Peter 5:7 – Cast all your anxiety on Him.
John 14:27 – Peace I leave with you.
Philippians 4:19 – My God will surely supply all your needs.
Isaiah 41:10 – Fear not for I am with you.
Matthew 28:10 – I am with you even to the end of the age.
Romans 8:38-39 – Nothing can separate me from the love of God.
Verse by Verse Commentary
- It is impossible to serve two Masters. Jesus Himself said so. We have to make a choice to serve God or the world. Only one can be in first place. We can use our money to serve God, but we should not excuse worldly materialistic behavior.
- For this reason – We should not be worried about money because it is not our focus. It is not our treasure. Our heart is not set on getting more of it.
- Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing. We eat to live not live to eat. God created us for a purpose. And that is to serve Him.
- Do not be worried – This is a command. It is wrong to worry about money. It displays a lack of faith in God and a lack of trust in His promises.
- God takes care of sparrows (and other animals) and we are more valuable so of course He will take care of us. Of course sparrows also do “work” for they food. They don’t just sit in their nests and wait for it to fall from the sky. At the same time, they do not worry about the future.
- Who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life? – The answer is no one. Worry is not productive. It zaps joy. It ruins our sleep. It causes us to be cranky. It takes away our focus from the Lord. It is a lack of faith. It can cause physical sickness.
- Example of the flowers’ clothing – Flowers do not worry about the future. They are not even conscious of it. But yet they are beautiful. They are not forgotten by God. People are more valuable than flowers. God created clothes for Adam and Eve. He will make sure that you have what you need as well. Probably most or all of you here today never worried about clothes or. That means you are very blessed financially. You don’t have any needs. So why worry about stuff you don’t need? Have you ever gone to bed hungry? Instead of worrying, let’s spend more time thanking God.
- God will take care of our needs not necessarily our wants.
- The Gentiles seek after these things – The world focuses on these things. But they are unsatisfied and disappointed whether they get them or not. God knows our needs. So we can rest assured that He will not forget or abandon us.
- Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness – There is some condition to God’s promise to take care of our needs. And it is that we are serving God first. If we are seeking first God’s kingdom, then we will also not be worrying about earthly things. Our mind and heart will be set on the things of God. On our bed at night we will be meditating on the Lord rather than stressing about our difficulties.
- Do not worry about tomorrow – Take things one step at a time. Do what you can and should do each day. But don’t worry or stress about what is outside of your control. Do not add future potential problems to your list of problems to deal with. Those things may never materialize so don’t worry about them.